We chat to the gorgeous Natasha and Tanya designers and founders of Brisbane’s very own new kaftan label – Tash & Tan! We love Tash & Tan Kaftans for their brilliant colours, chic shapes and oh so comfortable fabrics! With Spring finally in the air there is no better time than now to invest in a kaftan to take you through the warmer Summer months!
1. Firstly, how did you lovely ladies meet?
Tash- while walking our kids to school in early 2008 , we lived on the same street and would pass each other in the mornings and afternoon . we were both single mums at the time and one day we just looked at each other and said does it ever get easier lol , we’ve been great friends ever since.
2. What inspired you to start a Kaftan label?
We both love Kaftans and wanted to create a niche collection which was not only individual but also affordable.
3. What is the label’s mission statement?
Everyone has the right to look good and feel good no matter what their budget is, we want to design unique pieces that mirror our clients personality and individuality , our designs are handmade and not mass produced to ensure the ladies that rock our Kaftans stand out in the crowd.
4. I love the brilliant colours in your pieces, Tell us about the materials you use…
We use a variety of materials, The fabric used is mostly Synthetic in nature except the 100% Cotton Garments ,we chose materials that not only feel good against your skin but are also durable.
5. Who would you love to see a piece of the collection on?
Jessica Mauboy , Naomi Watts, Stephanie Rice, Kyle & Jackie O as they are such fun. We would also love to have Oprah Winfrey back to Australia and have her wearing one.
6. What are your backgrounds?
Tash – Australian Born Sri Lankan , I have a finance background but love all things creative.
Tanya – London born but class Australia as my home now. I come from a recruitment and learning and development background.
7. What is your favourite place in Brisbane to eat/drink/shop?
We love Eves at Teneriffe, James Street in New Farm and shopping in the Valley /James St Precincts.
8. How do you think living in Brisbane influences your label from a creative and business perspective?
Brisbane has a fantastic array of designers , artists and musicians , along with the near perfect weather all year makes it the perfect environment to not only be creative & imaginative as well.
9. What gets you out of bed in the morning?
10. What is your secret indulgence?
Tash – I love going to the Day Spas and having a body scrub and massage;
Tan – Food, anything spicy
11. How can we purchase your items?
Online – www.tashandtan.com.au