Yep, you read that correctly, you could be sleeping wrong. And by wrong, we mean you could be doing it a whole lot better. If you’re waking up every morning feeling tired and sluggish no matter how many hours you’re snoozing for, take note of these tips and you’ll be sleeping like a baby in no time.
- Invest in a good-quality mattress, such as an Ecosa mattress. Ecosa mattresses are made with a universal firmness, so it’s a one size fits all approach to comfort. The unique Ecosa design is a combination of latex, gel memory foam and high-density memory foam, all in the one mattress to ensure you get a good nights sleep, every night. Plus, Ecosa guarantee a 100-night free trial and 10 years warranty on all mattresses! You can order one of their mattresses online and with free delivery, it’ll be at your door in no time for the fraction of the price of other retailers that you’ll purchase in store. No matter your weight or sleeping position (back, side or starfish), an Ecosa mattress is the right choice. So why is it important to sleep on a good mattress? A good mattress is better for sensitive skin, will stop you tossing and turning in your sleep, lower your stress and most importantly, you’ll genuinely wake up on the right side of the bed.
- Don’t eat before you sleep. Whether it’s a large meal, a heavy dessert or a midnight snack, try not to eat right before you go to sleep because it does not give your body enough time to digest. Instead, an early dinner and if you desperately need a late-night snack, opt for a handful of nuts, piece of fruit, a slice of toast or a glass of milk.
- Avoid screen time in the 30 minutes prior to sleep. I’m very guilty of this one and find myself on my phone every night, right before I go to sleep. Put your phone down and make it a habit to keep a good book or your favourite magazine by your bed instead. If you really must use your phone (or can’t resist a sneaky Instagram scroll), turn your brightness right down to the lowest setting.
- Stick to your routine. Once you are settled into a weekly routine, or daily if that works for your lifestyle, stick to it. If you go to bed at 11pm every night and wake up at 7, great. If you’re more of a 9pm to 5am kind of gal, there’s nothing wrong with that. Resist the urge to oversleep on the weekend and take midweek naps if the opportunity arises. Stick to your sleeping routine and you’ll find you no longer wake up tired and sluggish.
- Turn your phone on silent or sleep mode overnight to avoid disruptions. If you really want or need to keep your phone on loud in case of an emergency, turn all of your social media and email notifications off so you can only accept phone calls and text messages. You’ll find that you won’t be disturbed restless throughout the night with every ping.
- Regular excerise and a healthy diet. As you would expect, regular exercise and a healthy diet will greatly impact your sleeping habits. Avoid the sugar and eat a wholesome, nutritionally balanced diet and get at least 30 minutes, or 10,000 steps, to nourish your body. It’s also important to drink lots of water too.
- Break up with caffeine. If you’re really struggling to get a good nights sleep, perhaps you need to break up with caffeine for good because it could be having a negative impact on your ability to sleep. Start by limiting yourself to one coffee, three times a week and then slowly wean yourself off them altogether. Once you start sleeping better, you’ll find that you no longer need a caffeine boost first thing in the morning (or when 3.30 rolls around) and you can power through the day without it. You’ll also save a bit of pocket money too!
- Practice meditation. Finally, spend some time each day practing meditation or yoga and concentrate on your own wellness. Meditating doesn’t have to take a long time, and you can do it almost anywhere, so make time in your daily routine to stop and meditate. Added bonus: meditation is also great for your mind and general wellness.
Do you have any tips that help you sleep better? We’d love to hear your thoughts so we can share them with our community everyone can enjoy a night of pure, deep sleep, every night.
This post was developed in collaboration with Ecosa mattresses. To purchase an Ecosa mattress, pop over to their online store here and start shopping in just a few simple clicks.